In order to run a sustainable media organization, publishers are compelled to consider advertising as their primary source of income. Ads has always been a leader in how media stays alive, however, due to the digital disruption that has bought social media and new media in to the industry, publishers are now forced to have alternatives to getting revenue.
There are many services that a community newspaper business could offer beyond just advertising space. Some ideas could include:
1. Event listings: Many people turn to community newspapers to find out about local events and activities. You could offer a service where businesses and organizations can submit information about their events to be included in the newspaper.
2. Community calendar: Along similar lines, you could create a community calendar that lists all of the events happening in the area. This could be a stand-alone section of the newspaper or an online feature.
3. Local news coverage: Many people value having a source of local news that covers events and issues specific to their community. You could offer in-depth coverage of local news and events, such as city council meetings, school board meetings, and more.
4. Business directory: You could create a directory of local businesses that includes contact information, descriptions of the products or services they offer, and other relevant details. This could be a stand-alone publication or an online feature.
5. Special interest sections: Many newspapers have sections that cover specific topics in depth, such as sports, arts and entertainment, food and dining, etc. You could create these types of sections in your newspaper to appeal to readers with particular interests.
6. Classified ads: You could offer a platform for people to post classified ads, such as job listings, real estate listings, and more.
7. Subscription service: You could offer a subscription service that allows readers to receive the newspaper regularly by mail or online.
8. Custom printing: Depending on your resources, you might also consider offering custom printing services to local businesses and organizations. This could include printing brochures, business cards, and other materials.